Sewing

Sunday, July 15, 2012

Banana baby food

I thought for a minute about getting the baby magic bullet off tv because it looks like an easy way to make baby food, and I guess by the third-go-round I have figured out all the baby basics and I feel that for some reason I have time to make baby food and use cloth diapers.

I didn't buy it, but I did however pick up this set at toys r us to store food in. You can refrigerate, freeze, and microwave in these little plastic jars with a flip lip. I like the flip lid because you don't have tiny lids to keep up with. It has trays to hold them neatly in and it's even all top-rack dishwasher safe.

The regular price was $9.99. Because apparently there is a new box out, this set is on clearance for $7.99. I had a 20% off any baby item (with exclusions) coupon, so I got it for $6.40 plus tax.

It had been sitting on the counter for a while before I got around to trying it. Another good reason why I chose the smaller investment.

I used this soft banana, smashed it up in a bowl with a fork, and put it in 3 containers. This gave me 1.5 oz. servings in each. They hold up to 2 oz. and have measurements on the side, which I love. If you want a comparison, the stage 1 store bought food is 2.5 oz. and stage 2 is 3.5 oz.

I froze these 3 because I wanted to see how they were defrosted. I placed it in the refrigerator the day before I wanted to use it. Before feeding, I opened the lid and warmed in the microwave for 20 seconds. It was luke warm and prince charming loved it, right down to the last bite.

Now I've got to find that baby food mill mom gave me when the girls were little.

I don't think you necessarily need a set like this one though, I don't see why you couldn't wash and reuse the plastic baby food containers from the store or use an ice cube tray like I've read about. It was an impulse purchase, but I do like it. I'll update you when I try some other varieties of food.

 

No comments: