Sewing

Sunday, July 1, 2012

Bottom wash

Wipes cost a lot, especially if your child can only use the name brand sensitive wipes like one of mine. If you cloth diaper, using cloth wipes is really no more work at all, and can save up to $5.00 a week per child. That's if you use 2 boxes of wipes per week. I read a ton of recipes and found this one to be the simplest and most common. Many included essential oils and other ingredients I didn't have, so I decided to try this one first. I did have to go get baby oil because I had never used it before. It cost about $3 I think and will last a long time. Probably will be the only bottle I ever buy, because only a fraction of it has been used and the baby is 5 months old. The original recipe made 2 cups of wash, but my bottle holds 1 cup so i cut it in half. I would link to the recipe where I found it, but I have no idea where it is and actually found it on several sites.

Here's what I do:

  1. Warm 1 cup of water in microwave for about 45 seconds- this helps dissolve the other ingredients.
  2. Put 1 tablespoon of baby oil in bottle
  3. Put 1 tablespoon of baby wash in bottle (regular or moisturizing)
  4. Pour in the water, cap it, and gently shake.
  5. Pour on wipe and clean bottom.
So simple! I had tons of baby washcloths left over from the girls and some new ones for the baby, so this is what I use folded into fourths for the wipes.



I would warn you though that if you put your wipes in a box and wet them all, they will get all yucky and smelly in about a day. YUCK! I just fold all my washcloths into fourths while folding my diaper laundry and keep the bottle of cleanser on the change table and squirt on the washcloth as needed. I deposit the soiled washed cloth in the wetbag with my dirty diapers and wash them all on laundry day.



This bottle is the one I was given in the hospital after the baby's birth and it works great, but I've also read some like to use a spray type bottle. I only have to make the solution every couple of weeks, so I find this a great savings with little effort.



What type of bottom wash do you use? I might need to try it .



No comments: